The ChiRunning and ChiWalking Certified Instructor Program offers individuals the opportunity to license the trademarked ChiRunning and ChiWalking techniques. The Certified Instructor certification process is outlined below. This process includes three months of home-study preparation and attendance at a four-day Instructor Training. Candidates have up to one year to complete remaining requirements for certification.
Benefits of Being a Certified Instructor:
- Use of the trademarked ChiRunning and ChiWalking logos for marketing
- Teach individuals and groups the ChiRunning and ChiWalking techniques*
- Partner commissions from ChiRunning and ChiWalking product sales
- Free listing on the ChiRunning and ChiWalking websites
- Opportunity to join the ChiLiving PRO Workshop marketing program
- Participation in ChiLiving blogs, social media, bulletin boards, and articles
- Give public talks and presentations
- Lead group runs and walks
*Certified Instructors can teach a maximum of eight students per group class at a maximum rate of $200 per student for full day instruction, and $175 per student for half day instruction. Note that Chi Living recommends charged $150 per student for full day Instructor, and $99-$125 per student for half day Instruction.
Certified Instructor Requirements:
To become a ChiRunning and ChiWalking Certified Instructor, a Candidate should be experienced in the ChiRunning and ChiWalking techniques. It is highly recommended that you attend a ChiRunning and/or ChiWalking workshop, or work with a Certified Instructor, before application to the program, and mandatory before attendance at an Instructor Training.*
To enroll in the Level I Instructor Candidate program, a Candidate must complete the online application, submit the ChiLiving Nondisclosure Agreement (NDA), and submit a $550 deposit towards the costs of the Instructor Training program. Once these requirements have been met, a Candidate’s home-study materials will be shipped. The home-study program begins three months before the four-day Instructor Training.
Certified Instructor Home-study Materials Include:
- ChiRunning and ChiWalking Instructor Manuals
- 3 Books: ChiRunning, ChiWalking and ChiMarathon
- 4 Digital DVDs: ChiRunning, ChiWalking, Hills&Trails, ChiWalk-Run
Requirements to Be Completed Before Attending an Instructor Training
- Attend at least one workshop with a Certified Instructor*
- Complete 14 Hours of reading & studying the ChiRunning and ChiWalking Home-study materials (as outlined in the study schedule provided by ChiLiving upon enrollment)
- Complete eight hours of practice teaching**(See ChiLiving Policy for practice teaching below)
- Complete, return, and pass online quizzes
*If a Candidate does not have access to a Workshop, modifications can be made upon request to Chi Living headquarters.
**Practice teaching should only be done with 1-2 individuals that are either family members or close friends. Strangers, or potential clients interested in ChiRunning should not be solicited for your practice teaching (either via online, newsletters, word of mouth, etc.). There should be no advertising of any kind and no fees should be charged for these practice hours (including fees to cover venue rentals). Failure to comply with this policy will result in removal from the Certification program with no refund.
Requirements to Be Completed After the Instructor Training
- Complete ten hours of ChiRunning practice teaching & four hours of ChiWalking practice teaching* (See ChiLiving Policy for practice teaching below)
- Complete eight hours of assistant teaching at a Workshop with a Senior Instructor, Certified Master Instructor, and/or Danny Dreyer
- Submit a DVD of yourself teaching ChiRunning to students, and of your own running form (This will be submitted to a Master Instructor for review )**
- Proficiency in the ChiRunning technique is a requirement
- Submit proof of CPR Certification to ChiLiving headquarters
- Submit proof of Professional Liability Insurance to ChiLiving headquarters
* Practice teaching should only be done with 1-2 individuals that are either family members or close friends. Strangers, or potential clients interested in Chi Running should not be solicited for your practice teaching (either via online, newsletters, word of mouth, etc.). There should be no advertising of any kind and no fees should be charged for these practice hours (including fees to cover venue rentals). Failure to comply with this policy will result in removal from the Certification program with no refund.
** Proficiency in the use of video recording equipment and analyzing running form in a digital format is highly recommended. DVDs are evaluated on a 5.0 scale, with 5.0 being the highest score available. Certified Instructor Candidates must score a minimum of 4.0 in order to complete Certification. If a score is below 4.0, Certification status will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
To maintain status as a Certified Instructor, the Instructor must adhere to current Annual Fee policies*, and complete the following each year:
- Pay Annual Fee
- Submit a Noncompete and Nondisclosure Agreement (NDA), updated Insurance and CPR documentation
- Assist a Senior Instructor, Master Instructor, and/or Danny Dreyer every two years at an eight hour workshop to ensure that teaching skills and knowledge of the material are up to date.
If recertification requirements are not completed by January 31st of each year, Instructor status may be suspended, including removal from the ChiLiving website, until Recertification requirements are completed.
*ChiLiving requires payment of an annual fee, due by January 31st, which covers the cost for licensing the intellectual property of ChiLiving Inc. The minimum fee for all Instructors is $325, and the maximum fee is $2000. Please refer to the Instructor Manual for fee determination. Certified Instructor Candidates who certify within the second half of a calendar year (July- Dec.) are exempt from their first year of annual fee dues.
Upon termination of status as a Certified Instructor, the Instructor can no longer identify as a ChiRunning and ChiWalking Instructor, and will not be allowed to teach, coach or train in the trademarked ChiRunning and ChiWalking techniques. Please refer to the NonDisclosure Agreement and Instructor Manual for specific information pertaining to our policies. ChiLiving reserves the right to revoke any Certified Instructor’s status.