The Day Before my First Marathon

« Go Back

I arrived in Dublin the night before.  I took no chances and carried everything I needed for the race on the flight!  I slept reasonably well and decided I would go for a very short run to loosen up and help me to relax.  I didn’t wear a watch and took it very easy.  The run felt effortless, I didn’t feel any niggles, my body felt pretty good.  My only focus was to body sense any tension and try to let it go.

I wanted to do as little as possible during the day.  I had to get to the Dublin Marathon Expo to collect my race number and to my sister’s house where I would stay the night as it is very conveniently located close to the start of the race.

The weather forecast had been hanging over me for a few days as a storm was heading for south east England and could affect Ireland. Running 26.2 miles was going to be hard enough without facing strong winds of up to 80 mph and heavy rain.  This played on my mind and caused me to stress a little.  Fortunately, as the day went on the weather forecast began to improve.

My nerves were definitely beginning to fray when I snapped at those close to me during the day.  I can understand that to a non-runner my behaviour may have seemed a little obsessive!

I arrived at the Expo late afternoon and it was heaving with people.  I collected my number and had a little look around.  I wasn’t there long when I decided I had to leave.  The buzz, noise levels, bright lights drained me of any energy I thought I had.  I couldn’t wait to get out of there.  I arrived at my sister’s house feeling very tired.

I ate well and stayed hydrated throughout the day.  I laid out everything I needed for the race the following morning and tried to stay calm.  I had written out my race plan and studied the course again.  I knew where my family and friends would be along the course.  I took some phone calls and received lots of messages of support which were much appreciated.

I went over some key ChiRunning focuses in my head and re-read the race weekend chapter in the Chi Marathon book.  Six months of training demanded a lot of physical and mental energy.  I had been feeling a little tired all week but I guess as I had now finally arrived at where I needed to be and everything was done, my body said “OK, I’m really tired now”!

The more tired I got as the evening went on the harder it seemed to focus and try to remember the things I needed to the following day.  I went to bed around 10.30 beginning to wonder how on earth I would get up and run a marathon the following day.

Happy running.


Michelle Muldoon
Senior ChiRunning Instructor
London, UK

Posted in Beginners

Related Articles