The Day Before my First Marathon - Chi Running

The Day Before my First Marathon

Posted by Michelle Muldoon on Thu Nov 7th, 2013, 1 comment

The Day Before my First Marathon

I arrived in Dublin the night before.  I took no chances and carried everything I needed for the race on the flight!  I slept reasonably well and decided I would go for a very short run to loosen up and help me to relax.  I didn’t wear a watch and took it very easy.  The run felt effortless, I didn’t feel any niggles, my body felt pretty good.  My only focus was to body sense any tension and try to let it go.

I wanted to do as little as possible during the day.  I had to get to the Dublin Marathon Expo to collect my race number and to my sister’s house where I would stay the night as it is very conveniently located close to the start of the race.

The weather forecast had been hanging over me for a few days as a storm was heading for south east England and could affect Ireland. Running 26.2 miles was going to be hard enough without facing strong winds of up to 80 mph and heavy rain.  This played on my mind and caused me to stress a little.  Fortunately, as the day went on the weather forecast began to improve.

My nerves were definitely beginning to fray when I snapped at those close to me during the day.  I can understand that to a non-runner my behaviour may have seemed a little obsessive!

I arrived at the Expo late afternoon and it was heaving with people.  I collected my number and had a little look around.  I wasn’t there long when I decided I had to leave.  The buzz, noise levels, bright lights drained me of any energy I thought I had.  I couldn’t wait to get out of there.  I arrived at my sister’s house feeling very tired.

I ate well and stayed hydrated throughout the day.  I laid out everything I needed for the race the following morning and tried to stay calm.  I had written out my race plan and studied the course again.  I knew where my family and friends would be along the course.  I took some phone calls and received lots of messages of support which were much appreciated.

I went over some key Chi Running focuses in my head and re-read the race weekend chapter in the Chi Marathon book.  Six months of training demanded a lot of physical and mental energy.  I had been feeling a little tired all week but I guess as I had now finally arrived at where I needed to be and everything was done, my body said “OK, I’m really tired now”!

The more tired I got as the evening went on the harder it seemed to focus and try to remember the things I needed to the following day.  I went to bed around 10.30 beginning to wonder how on earth I would get up and run a marathon the following day.

Happy running.


Michelle Muldoon
Senior Chi Running Instructor
London, UK


  • injury-free running,
  • marathon training,
  • chi running

1 CommentsLeave a comment below

Karen Mason Dec 8th, 2014 10:05pm

Hi Michelle
Did you run your first marathon and how was it?  You were very negative in your blog so I hope you enjoyed it and overcame the fatigue. You know, the weather doesn’t matter - if you have done the training and just relax into your running all will be well.  I have just done my second Chi marathon in beautiful Queenstown in the South Island of New Zealand.  It was pouring with rain when we started and we got drenched to the bone and it was chilly at 9deg.  We finished in hail and gale force wind - but my goodness what a run! Enjoyment is the motto of a good Chi run! Happy running:)

What are your thoughts?

Please enter the word you see in the image below:

Top 100 Runnning Blogs award
A Chi Running Love Letter image

A Chi Running Love Letter

I picked up your book 2 months ago. My wife saw you on CNN. I stopped running 15 years ago due to tendonitis in my left leg. 

Read This Story >

Over a million happy runners can't be wrong.

Watch our FREE video series and run easier and better than you ever imagined. Feel the difference in your next run!