ChiRunning & ChiWalking are Solutions to the Decline in America’s Health
“US Ranks Below 16 Other Rich Countries in Health Report,” NPR recently reported.
The fact that Americans’ overall health is worse than 16 other countries in this study is staggering, but unfortunately, not surprising. We are wealthy and educated, yet we devalue the most important contributor to our quality of life: health.
64% of Americans are overweight or obese. And, while the article does address violence as a significant cause of death in men under 50, lack of exercise, overeating, and poor nutrition are at the heart of this epidemic. Studies have shown a distinct link between diabetes and cardio-vascular disease (CVD). In a diabetes fact sheet published by the National Institutes of Health, they recommend the following:
• Reach and stay at a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese is a risk factor for heart attack and stroke.
• Get at least 30 to 60 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity five days a week. Brisk walking or a similar activity most days of the week can help with weight loss and lower blood pressure.
• Eat a variety of foods that are low in fat and reduce the number of calories you eat per day.
The best solution is to learn to move well so you can continue moving more.
ChiRunning and ChiWalking, along with the mindfulness they promote (in movement and lifestyle) are simple solutions to this deadly problem. Prevention goes a long, long way. While many health-related challenges may seem out of our control, exercising regularly is something we can completely control. And, when practicing the Chi techniques, we can consistently walk and run without being sidelined with pain or injury.
Exercise also keeps us mentally balanced. Walking at a brisk pace has been proven to help combat depression and naturally elevate our mood. When practicing ChiRunning and ChiWalking, we get the additional benefits of connecting our mental and physical selves. Instead of just pushing through 45 minutes on the treadmill, workouts become a time to learn more about our bodies. For instance, when your core is engaged and your posture is aligned, you may find that your lower back pain disappears. When you clear your mind and focus on your movement, you may feel your shoulders naturally relax as stress dissipates.
How to get started:
• For walkers: ChiWalking DVD – ChiWalking makes it easy to get in shape. Begin at your own pace and establish a lifelong fitness program.
• For runners: ChiRunning DVD – Enjoy running and eliminate injuries – perfect for runners of all levels.
• For walk-runners: ChiWalk-Run DVD & program – Great for beginner runners, or walkers who want to introduce running into their workouts. Gentle, easy, and you’ll walk-run the 5K distance in just 8 weeks.
It’s not too late to turn your health around. You just need to make your body a priority and start listening to what it truly needs.