Exhilarating. Effective. Pain-free. ChiRunning believes everyone can experience running this way.
The ChiRunning Technique
Since 1999, ChiRunning has helped thousands of runners transform their technique - reducing, preventing and recovering from injuries. Runners of all ages and levels have improved their efficiency and performance, and now find running to be pain-free, easier, and enjoyable. The main principles of ChiRunning include:
- Correct alignment and posture
- Landing with a midfoot strike
- Using a "gravity-assisted" forward lean
- Engaging core strength for propulsion
- Connecting the mind and body to prevent injury
Check out our 10 Components of Good Running Technique to read more about the ChiRunning technique.
What is Chi?
ChiRunning is based on movement principles of T’ai Chi, but you don’t need to know T’ai Chi to ChiRun. All you need to know is how using your core can transform your running.
- Chi (pronounced "chee") is the energy that unites body, mind, and spirit.
- Energy moves from your core (also known as your “center” or “dantien”) into the limbs to create movement.
- Engaging your core and relaxing your limbs allows your legs to simply support your body weight instead of pushing or pulling it forward.
- When your structure is aligned and your muscles and joints are relaxed, chi can flow freely through the body, making running feel effortless.
- Read our ChiRunning FAQs to learn more.
Get Started Today
Learning from the ChiRunning book and DVD is the best way to get started. These tools work together to clearly explain the technique and show it in action. We also have over 200 Certified Instructors around the world ready to give you in-person support. Whether you run recreationally, competitively, or you’re just getting started, every runner can benefit from ChiRunning.
To learn more about ChiRunning and receive special offers, sign up for our newsletter here.
Love Running Forever