Red Lentil & Veggie Soup
We are big fans of lentils. Since they're high in nutrition (complex carbs, fiber, and protein) and they're pretty hassle-free to cook, we think they're a great staple to have in any active person's diet.
Recipe was borrrowed from Bon Apetit.
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1 Tbsp.|
|Red onion, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Garlic cloves, minced||3|
|Ginger, peeled and minced||2 Tbsp|
|Chicken broth or water||8 cups|
|Russet potato, chopped||1|
|Red lentils, rinsed||2 cups|
|Carrots, peeled and chopped||2|
|Spinach, chopped if preferred||2 cups|
|Salt & pepper||To taste|
|Greek yogurt||1/2 cup|
|Fresh chives, chopped||1 Tbsp.|
*We made this recipe with green lentils, and had to cook the lentils a little bit longer, but the soup still tasted delicious.
1. Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and light golden, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
4. Add broth, potato, lentils, and carrots; bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Stir in spinach and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, stir yogurt and chives in a small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of chive yogurt.