Grilled Summer Squash & Chicken
June is the time when summer squash is at its best and is most readily available. It's an excellent source of manganese and vitamin C and a very good source of magnesium, vitamin A, fiber, potassium, folate, copper, riboflavin, and phosphorus. This veggie reduces high blood pressure and the risk of stroke and heart attack. Happy grilling!
|Olive oil||1 Tbs|
|Black pepper||1/2 tsp|
|Chicken breasts||2 Medium|
|Summer Squash||4 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Onion||1 large, cut into halves (large enough to grill)|
|Fresh chives||1/4 cup|
Yields 3-4 servings
1. From lemon, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice. In medium bowl, whisk together lemon peel and juice, oil, salt, and pepper; transfer 2 tablespoons to cup.
2. Add chicken breasts to bowl with lemon-juice marinade; cover and let stand 15 minutes at room temperature or 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
4. Discard chicken marinade. Place chicken and squash on hot grill rack. Cover grill and cook chicken, squash, and onions 10 to 12 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken breast is pierced with tip of knife and squash and onions are tender and browned, turning all over once and removing pieces as they are done. Grill 3-4 lemon slices for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Transfer grilled items to cutting board. Cut chicken into 1-inch-wide strips; cut each squash wedge crosswise in half; cut half onion pieces into quarters.
6. On large platter, toss squash and onion with reserved lemon-juice marinade, then toss with chicken and sprinkle with chives. Garnish with grilled lemon slices.