Danny’s Chinese Chicken Salad
One of Danny's many talents is being an excellent cook. This salad is packed with flavor, protein, and crunchy enjoyment. It's one of Journey's top requests for dinner.
|Dressing:||¼ cup sesame seeds toasted in oil|
|1/3 cup honey|
|¼ cup Mirin cooking sake|
|½ cup ½ C. rice Vinegar|
|1 tsp. powdered mustard|
|½ cup safflower, canola or olive oil|
|4 tsp. tamari|
|¼ cup water|
|Salad:||½ Chicken – cooked and deboned (broken into bite s|
|4 cups Fresh Baby Spinach leaves|
|4 cups Romaine Lettuce (tear or break into bite-si|
|3 scallions sliced in thin cross-sections (use the|
|¾ cup Toasted almonds – lightly toast and cut in h|
|2 Tomatoes – cut into wedges (quarter a tomato and|
|4 Hard-boiled eggs – cut in eighths (quarter-cut l|
|1/3 package of Deep-fried mai-fun rice noodles|
Serves 4 People
Cooking the noodles:
- In hot canola oil, deep-fry small handfuls of mai-fun rice noodles. Make sure your oil is very hot; it makes crispier noodles. These are available in Asian food markets or in the Asian section of your supermarket. Sometimes they’re labeled “Rice Sticks.”
- When cooking, place a small amount of noodles in the oil. Let them finish cooking on one side and then flip them with tongs to cook them thoroughly. Set aside on a paper towel.
Serving the salads:
- Place all salad ingredients into a very large mixing bowl. Set aside 4 handfuls of deep-fried noodles to top the salads with, as a garnish before serving.
- Pour all of the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly.
- Serve on wide plates or wide, shallow bowls and top each salad with a handful of fried noodles.