Chocolate Oatmeal Flaxseed Cookies
Looking for a healthier dessert? Indulge in a cookie that can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. Flaxseed lets you leave the guilt behind, with the benefits of Omega-3s, lignans and fiber. Bake, share and feel great!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yields: About 2 dozen cookies
|Smart Balance salted butter||1/3 Cup|
|Light brown sugar||3/4 Cup, packed|
|All-purpose flour||1/3 Cup|
|Whole wheat flour||1/8 Cup|
|Ground Flax||1/8 Cup|
|Baking soda||3/4 tsp.|
|Old-fashioned oats||1.5 Cups|
|Egg||1 lg., lightly beaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp.|
|Walnuts||1/2 Cup, chopped|
|Dark chocolate chunks||6 oz.|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Remove from heat, and add light brown sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Combine all dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, and oats in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter mixture with the dry ingredients, and add egg and vanilla extract.
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate.
- Mix well, and spoon onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Desi Duncan.