This savory and delicious, yet quite healthy recipe of chicken enchiladas will satisfy a craving for Mexican-style comfort food without too many extra calories. Serve with black beans and rice or chips and guacamole or a side salad.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Bake time: 350° for 35 minutes
|Tomatillos*||5 small, coarsely chopped|
|Plum tomatoes||2, coarsely chopped|
|Yellow onion||1/2 med., chopped|
|Canned diced tomatoes and green chiles||1 10 oz. can, drained|
|Low-fat Cheddar cheese||2 Cups, shredded, divided|
|Low-fat Monterey cheese||2 Cups, shredded, divided|
|Jalapeno peppers||2, seeded and chopped|
|Green bell pepper||2 med., seeded and chopped|
|Fresh cilantro||1/2 Cups, chopped|
|Cooked chicken||2 Cups, chopped|
|Flour or whole wheat tortillas||10, 7"|
|Red enchilada sauce||2 cans, mild or hot|
- Process first 4 ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Stir together half of Cheddar, half of Jack, and next 3 ingredients.
- Stir in chopped chicken.
- Combine all of the ingredients above in a medium bowl.
- Pour enchilada sauce in separate bowl and dip each tortilla briefly in sauce.
- Once tortilla has been dipped in sauce, place approx. 1/4 cup of mixture evenly onto 1 side of tortilla and roll up. Place tortilla seam sides down, in a 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; and top with an enchilada sauce.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
*If you don't have access to fresh tomatillos, use canned. If you don't have access to canned, use regular red tomatoes with added lime.