Bean and Chicken Sausage Stew
This quick and savory stew serves up the protein your body needs after a great cardio workout. Filled with items that are already in the pantry, this recipe won't take you more than 20 minutes to make. Great for the whole family on a busy evening!
|Olive oil||1 Tbs|
|Fully cooked chicken sausage links||1 12 oz package, sliced|
|Garlic||2 cloves, thinly sliced|
|Yellow onion||1 sm., chopped|
|Cannellini or navy beans||1 19 oz can, rinsed|
|Low-sodium chicken broth||1 14.5 oz can|
|Diced tomatoes||1 14.5 oz can|
|Kale||1 bunch leaves, torn into 2" pieces|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
|Red pepper flakes (opt)||To taste|
|Wheat bread loaf (opt)||For taste!|
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring once, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the beans, broth, tomatoes and their liquid and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with the bread, if desired.