Autumn Stuffed Squash
This is a classic autumn dish that allows you to take advantage of the early flavors of Fall. In order to spice this dish up, add some quick Italian or Indian spices. We've given you some options below, so feel free to try them out!
|Butternut squash||2 large, cut in half, lengthwise|
|Quinoa or Brown rice||1 cup|
|Chicken (optional)||12 oz|
|Cashew pieces||2 oz|
|Red apples||2, coarsely chopped|
|Goat cheese, feta cheese, or white cheddar||4 oz|
|Red wine or apple cider vinegar||1/8 cup|
|Coconut oil||3 Tbsp.|
1. Clean squash, cut in half, lengthwise, and scoop out seeds.
2. Place open side of squash face-up on baking sheet, and set squash in pool of water with water also in hollow area of squash, replacing seeds.
3. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
4. While squash is baking, cook quinoa or rice, cook chicken, chop apples, and sautee diced kale.
5. Combine cooked quinoa or rice, chicken, apples, cashew pieces, diced kale, and raisins in mixing bowl.
6. Once squash is baked and tender, remove inside meat of squash and add to quinoa mixture. Mix together.
7. Add red wine vinegar or apple cide vinegar and coconut oil to quinoa and squash mixture.
8. Scoop mixture from bowl back into squash halves. Top with cheese of your choice (optional) and bake at 350 for another 10 mins.
9. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
For Indian spice: Add curry, turmeric, coriander, cayenne or cumin into the mixing bowl to bring in some more authentic Indian bite.
For Italian flavor: Add basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary or thyme to enhance the dish with classic Italian flavor.