• <
  • Page 2 of 66
  • >

Cross Training for ChiRunners

Posted by Danny Dreyer A on Tue Jul 11th, 2017, 0 comments

Cross Training for ChiRunners

I am not a huge believer in cross-training for running. I do believe in cross training if you have some weakness in your musculature that is affecting your ability to run efficiently and uninjured. In this case you need to strengthen those areas. I am also a huge believer in cross training to keep your mind interested in fitness, your body in good shape so that you can live a full life, and your spirit enriched by a consistent fitness routine.

I don’t just run. I practice T’ai Chi, regularly. I actively garden as often as I can. I ride bikes (more like a kid, for fun, than for serious training). Katherine and I walk after dinner and kayak when we can. I play 4-square and tennis with my daughter. I have meditated regularly mornings and evenings for most of my adult life. I consider meditation to be part of my cross training because it is where I practice focusing, being fully present, and being an astute observer of my inner self. My meditation practice supports my running and vice versa.

To be the best runner you can be, practice refining the fundamentals of your running technique all day long. Make good posture and deep relaxation a part of every thing you do, from sitting at your desk to washing the dishes. That is my very best cross training advice.

Read More >

July 2017 Instructor of the Month: Vince Vaccaro

Posted by Katherine Dreyer on Mon Jun 26th, 2017, 0 comments

July 2017 Instructor of the Month: Vince Vaccaro

Vince Vaccaro is one of our most active Instructors, constantly teaching new and seasoned runners how to harness the power of Chi in their own running practice. He is dedicated to his own goals as a runner as well, having completed multiple 100k races - most recently the Lighthouse 100 in June of this year! Read on to discover what drives Vince, his favorite training tips and what he thinks about while running.

Read More >

Pelvic Rotation: The Secret to Effective Running Form

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Mon Jun 26th, 2017, 0 comments

Pelvic Rotation: The Secret to Effective Running Form

One of the most challenging aspects of running form to learn, and to teach, is pelvic rotation. If learning pelvic rotation is not in your training plan, it should be. It plays a key role in being able to run injury-free, whether you want to do a 5K run or train for a marathon. So, as you might guess, I’m always looking for better ways to teach it. I adopted this recently with a group training for a half marathon and had great success.

Read More >

Limitations: Redefining How You Meet Them and Beat Them

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Tue Jun 6th, 2017, 0 comments

Limitations: Redefining How You Meet Them and Beat Them

We all feel the restriction of our human limitations. On the physical level, pain and fatigue let us know when we’re getting close to that threshold where, as we go further or push harder, it could mean either a breakthrough or an injury. On the emotional level, it could manifest as fear, nervousness or sweaty hands. I run into it on the mental level all the time when I draw a blank.

Read More >

Run A Faster 5k, 10k or Half Marathon with ChiRunning

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Wed May 31st, 2017, 0 comments

Run A Faster 5k, 10k or Half Marathon with ChiRunning

ChiRunning makes running easier and injury-free, but can it make you faster? The answer is YES. As you learn to use the assistance of gravity to increase your momentum, instead of pushing with your legs, you’ll discover that you can increase your speed without feeling a big increase in effort. The one caveat that I want to impress upon you though, is that speed should be a byproduct of good running technique, not the other way around.

Read More >

Push and Relax: The New Definition

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Tue May 9th, 2017, 0 comments

Push and Relax: The New Definition

How many times have you begun a training program having very good intentions to get yourself into the best shape you've ever been in? You set goals, make time in your day, and give it your all in order to get the best results.

Then when you're out there on a  run, you try to push yourself as hard as you can so that you can build up your muscles and improve your aerobic conditioning. And afterwards, you find yourself overstretched, fatigued and maybe even in pain.

If that sounds familiar, never fear. There is a better way.

Read More >

5 Crucial Injury Recovery Tips

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Wed Apr 26th, 2017, 0 comments

5 Crucial Injury Recovery Tips

No doubt about it… it sucks to get a running injury. Your training gets disrupted… you can’t go hang with your friends on a cruise through the ‘hood and it brings up flashbacks of being grounded as a kid. Nobody likes it.

We do our best to teach you how to not get injured in the first place, but if you find yourself injured we’ve still got your back. When you’re working your way out of an injury there are always “best practices” and “not-so-best practices.” So, here are some tips to get you back out there with your buds without any of those pesky setbacks that can happen if you overdo your rehab.

Read More >

May 2017 Instructors of the Month: Rafael Izquierdo and Amelia Jurado Fernandez

Posted by Katherine Dreyer on Wed Apr 26th, 2017, 1 comments

May 2017 Instructors of the Month: Rafael Izquierdo and Amelia Jurado Fernandez

Rafa and Amelia, our amazing Certified Instructors in Spain, are partners in running and partners in life! Their tireless efforts continue to bring the magic of ChiRunning and ChiWalking to their community in Madrid, and throughout the country. Read their interviews below, and get inspired!

Read More >

Life Loves Rhythm

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Wed Apr 12th, 2017, 1 comments

Life Loves Rhythm

All events in Nature occur in cycles and rhythms. Some occur outside of us, such as the seasons, the lunar cycles, the rising and setting of the sun. And, some happen within us — our sleep cycles, our breath and heart rates, or the automatic tap our toes when we hear a catchy beat. We all tend to seek order in our lives: when faced with chaos and irregularity, we tend to feel ill at ease until order has been restored. Soft rhythms and rocking are often used to help soothe and calm agitated or overactive children.  Rhythm is one of the fundamental elements of Life.

Read More >

Speed with Ease: Why We Teach ChiRunning From Scratch

Posted by Danny Dreyer on Wed Mar 29th, 2017, 1 comments

Speed with Ease: Why We Teach ChiRunning From Scratch

Danny can't tell you how many people come up to him at a ChiRunning class and tell me, "I just want to get faster." He agrees. It's great to get faster. Speed can be exhilarating, inspiring, and definitely lots of fun. But if your speed isn't grounded in a base of proper technique, it can easily turn into a trade-off between speed and injury. It can also be a lot more work to run faster if you're not an efficient runner. In Danny's longtime practice of T'ai Chi he's learned that speed never comes from force… it comes from relaxation.

Read More >